Thursday, April 7, 2011

Turning over a new Leaf

Do you ever have so many thoughts at one time to write down, but can't think of what order they should go in, and by the time you write them all down...you forget at least half of them? That's currently happening to me. I think I just thought of a new idea for another blog. I mean, I have one for this one first, don't worry. But, I've never blogged before..or i think that's what this is called? So, I'm just gonna do my thing and not worry about what other blog sites look like, because then, afterall, it wouldn't be my blog!
There are a few reasons I decided to start writing a blog. I think that secretly and maybe subconsciously have always wanted a blog, just because I'm always thinking and don't usually have the opportunity to write down..or even figure out what it is that I am thinking about. I downloaded a little app thingy on my computer that is simply a little box that says, "What is inspiring you right now?" And it gives me an opportunity to write down whatever I am thinking at the moment, something funny, sad, or something that totally is off the wall (which is usually my thought process). Another reason is this one cool girl named Monica had a good idea this one time to delete her Facebook and start a blog. (She had some good reasons as to why, you can see them at darthmanga.blogspot.com). So I decided to follow in her footsteps, a trial run, if you will, with the whole "no Facebook/start a blog" thing. Another reason is because Facebook is actually annoying to me sometimes, especially about the "Sally is now in a relationship with John Doe" CRAP that's all over everywhere. (Touchy subject for me, clearly, and that is what my next blog will be about...kinda.)
Well. Guess I'll start writing what originally I thought that I would start off with, and that is about my title for this little blog guy, which is, "Turning over a new leaf." [(Don't judge me, I still don't know if I'm supposed to put my punctuation inside or outside of the quotation marks.)(Deanna Briody could probably tell me.)(Yes I am using brackets to organize my thoughts.)] Anyways, I chose this title, then realized that I didn't actually know what the origin of it was. So, I did what any noble American would do..and Googled it! I found out that it means to "make a fresh start. it means a leaf of page of a book." Which makes sense I guess, but I was thinking tree leaf, not a paper leaf. I didn't know leaf paper existed. Now I do. And now you do too.
Anyways, I am "turning over a new leaf" in many ways. But one of the most major ways I am trying to change is in the way that I am eating. I have been blessed (or..not so blessed. whichever way you look at it) with the ability to eat like..freaking huge amounts of food with little or no physical difference. Which is my problem! One of our alumni soccer players came to talk to us last month about nutrition and how it affects our every day lives, whether we see a difference or not. So, I have been trying to eat healthy. Even though it's pretty hard with the food at Alex's. Guess I need to start being creative. I think the "no trays for the rest of your college career" might actually help. I noticed that I don't get as much food when I don't have a tray. Cool.
If i told you that I hadn't yet gotten to what I wanted to talk about...would you be mad? Don't care. What I really wanted to talk about was my dog, Muffy. You know how "they" (whoever that is) say that a dog is a man's best friend? well. My dog is! I went home this past weekend and became very aware of different things that I hadn't noticed before. I noticed that she is always pleased with the food in her bowl. I can't imagine eating the same food, three times a day, for my whole life. And she is 8 years strong! She also is content with her few toys that she has. Even when no one will play with her, she plays by herself. I heard a quote once that said, "The reason a dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues." This is so true! I think if people started acting more like dogs (in healthy ways of course) ...man would the world be different. So, this is just a little shout out to the best dog in the world: my puppy who always listens, and never interrupts :)

1 comment:

  1. love it maura. i'm glad you have decided to write. i feel less lonely. pretty soon everyone ill be blogging (i still freaking hate that word) and we will have to delete it and get facebook just to get away and get some peace!
    you're right about dogs. i am now inspired to be more like a dog and less like a human.

    ReplyDelete